About Me

I am eight years old and have spent my life so far studying, catching and raising insects and animals.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Spiders

This is a Golden Silk Orb Weaver.  I like to catch them.  I also like to eat them, roasted over a fire. It's venom is a powerful neurotoxin similar to the black widow, but it is not lethal.  This is a female.  The Latin name for this spider is edulus which means edible.

Spider Catching Tips:
  •  No need to approach it slowly, just don't bump it's web while coming in for a catch.
  •  
  • Use a stick to break the straight line support strands of it's web. 
  •  
  • When it falls, use your fingers to grab it by the neck, just behind the head.  (This is harder if they smaller in size than an American quarter)
  •  
  •  If you grab them this way, they are unable to turn their head and bite you.
  •  
  • If you want to eat it anyway, just squish it's head.  That is what the old ladies in the our tribe taught me.  If you eat a spider and die, it is not my fault.  Don't sue me.
  •  
I see and catch these orb weavers

These are huge.  They lived in my house in the jungle and one bit my mom

This is a jewel spider, this kind bit my brother

This is a close up of the Golden Silk Orb Weaver

I like to catch these

Lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment